Sunday 17 July 2011

RR#1-ding fix

OK, I had four more jobs to do before considering this typewriter fit for purpose:
  1. Replace the rubber roller that keeps the tabs from falling off the tab bar
  2. Fix the bell
  3. Make new feet and source some replacement rubber bushes for the cover screws
  4. Clean the bodywork.
1] Replace the rubber roller that keeps the tabs from falling off the tab bar (A)
You can see, it doesn't resemble anything especially purposeful, but you can tell what it used to do. Now, I only have one tab (B) in all the world, and I can live without tabs. I got as far as removing the nuts that hold the roller but then decided to service and grease the carriage return linkage instead. You can't see the dead rubber (C) from the front and its condition has no impact on the function of the typewriter.

2] Fixing the bell
The spring had broken so there was nothing pushing on the flat spot on the bell's connector rod (D) - a simple assembly compared to some that works fine with a lightly tensioned spring. I don't have a drawer full of parts, so I generally have to improvise. I thought a neatly trimmed and partly unwound safety pin would work - springy wire with a loop for the bolt. Guess what? Works great. (E)
Yep, I know, it is rusty!


3] Make new feet and source some replacement rubber bushes for the cover screws
Any owner of a 1930s or '40s Remington will know it has hollow hard rubber rectangular feet in truncated pyramid section. They don't have them at the hardware shop. I'd intended using carved pencil erasers but just can't seem to find any. After some head scratching about the source of a likely material, I wondered about rubber heels from the shoe repairers. If they are flat, they should be easy enough to carve and if they are around 8mm thick, they'll be the right height to keep the typewriter snug in its case. Cover screw bushes? I wondered if 'O' ring seals from a car mechanic's workshop would fit the bill, I'll find out and let you know how I get on.

4] Clean the bodywork
There were a lot of subtle but ugly marks and a generally grimy patina about the paintwork. I tried soap and water but this just made the paint go temporarily grey and blotchy. So I tried T-Cut, a very mildly abrasive paint refinisher in a petroleum distillate. You shouldn't apply it too vigourously as it is abrasive. I went lightly around the decals especially, but it shined-up pretty well. I'll wax it too. No T-Cut in the US? Try Turtle Wax T415 Premium Rubbing Compound

Postscript
Bikethru commented on my previous post about the comparative type bar action of this RR#1 and an RNP. JUST after I'd put the cover back and restrung with part-used red and black I'd been saving. So, next post will be a "spot the difference" contest.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip about the safety pin (E). The bell mechanism is a weak point on this family of typewriters, and I've struggled in the past to find a solution -- a safety pin hadn't occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and thank you Richard. I used silicone-free beeswax with carnuba furniture polish.

    ReplyDelete